Re: Facebook DNS issue

On Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 02:47:52PM +0900, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> > The fact that this brought down Facebook's DNS appears to have
> > significantly increased its downtime, since Facebook's engineers
> > couldn't authenticate to the servers needed to fix the problem.
>
> That's totally unlikely.
>
> BGP failure does not mean facebook-internal servers and clients
> can't access facebook-internal name servers.

There is quite a bit of anecdotal reporting that internal servers and
clients were affected.  I agree that for a well-architected corporate
intranet and internal production network, this *should* be highly
unlikely.  But remember we're talking about a company that uses PHP as
its primary web langauge, and for which "move fast and break things"
is one of the founder's favorite sayings....

"Not only are Facebook's services and apps down for the public, its
internal tools and communications platforms, including Workplace, are
out as well. No one can do any work. Several people I've talked to
said this is the equivalent of a "snow day" at the company."

- https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1445069187664293895

"Was just on phone with someone who works for FB who described
employees unable to enter buildings this morning to begin to evaluate
extent of outage because their badges weren’t working to access doors."

- https://twitter.com/sheeraf/status/1445099150316503057