Re: Want to be on the IESG?

Hi Keith,

I agree with you. We do need more people serving in that best way. For example, I still am waiting in one WG or the chair or AD to reply to my question (happens alot in IETF, not sure why we have WG chairs, maybe we need discussion-list-chair instead), but maybe I need to send reminder on wg-list, or I need more people to help in IETF.

I recommend in IETF that we need a discussion-list-chair for each list in IETF-Areas

Best Regards
AB

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 4:48 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/2/21 3:38 AM, Lloyd W wrote:

> Do you want... POWER?
>
> L.
>
> and are you willing to sit through dull conference calls to get it?

A slightly different view from one who has been there (though it's been
awhile):

You learn a HELL of a lot by serving on IESG.  You get a pretty rare
view of all of the technical issues facing the Internet (and some other
kinds of issues also), all at once, as in "drinking from a firehose" all
at once.   And that view probably doesn't go stale for several years.
That kind of breadth is surely valuable to high-level people in many
companies.

Unlike a lot of jobs that confer some measure of power, being on IESG
probably provides more power to do good than to do harm. The best things
you can do on IESG are to help people resolve tussles and technical
differences so that they can make progress.   You can do this because
your knowledge of both the technical issues, and of people working on
various problems, can help you get people with different views to see
how to work them out.   You're not always successful, of course, but
sometimes you might be.

It can be an exhausting job but also a very rewarding one.    And the
community needs more people who are willing to serve in this way.

Keith