Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

On 9/27/2021 3:49 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:
Second, who exactly defines what is important?
The current proposal is that important-news would have all manual postings by the various organizational roles, i.e., everything under (1):

1.  Announcements sent manually
	34	by the IETF Chair/ED
	39	the IAB Chair
	0	the IRTF Chair
	0 	the Chair of the LLC Board
	136	the IETF Executive Director
	20	the NomCom Chair
	13	the IETF Tools support
	3	IANA
	1	ISOC
	38	and the IETF Secretariat

We would ask those posters to determine on a case-by-case basis whether a given announcement meets their bar for important-news or nor.

As I wrote before, a lot of those belong to something like "a log of the IETF". I think this would be better treated as publishing a log on an IETF web page, with possibly a weekly or monthly reminder.

 Is that another way to empower people in elected positions, relative to the average participant?
I'm not sure I follow. The "average participant" cannot post to ietf-announce now, and they wouldn't be able to post to important-news either. That ability was always restricted to certain org roles?

You are right. But I am still concerned with the asymmetry of sending data through one-way lists. Take two recent messages on the ietf-announce list:

1) Reminder: IETF 112 Birds of a Feather (BOF) proposals due by 10 September
2) Proposed Experiment for IETF 112: Moving the Plenary

The first one clearly belongs in some kind of "log of events" category. Having that sent to a one-way list like "ietf-announce" makes sense -- although I would still prefer handling that as a web page. The second one proposes an experiment and calls for comments. Both messages were sent to several mailing lists: ietf-announce with copies to 112all and ietf for the first one, ietf-announce with copies on wgchairs, 112all and ietf for the second.

That seems like message inflation, and I believe we would be better off with some simple rule. The send-only ietf-announce list looks right for the first message: it is an annoucement, no discussion is expected. On the other hand, if discussions are expected, it would be better to just send them on the list where those discussions are supposed to take place -- probably the IETF list. Unless the goal is to have parallel discussions on several different lists.

-- Christian Huitema