Re: [irsg] Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

Hi,

thanks for the feedback!

On 2021-9-25, at 23:36, Adrian Farrel <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> - All emails sent to important-news will be CC’ed to ietf-announce.
>
> Really? Why? This seems to totally deny the value of a new list. It is also not very pleasant in the context of the "mandatory subscription" described below because now people will get two copies of emails.

The value of the new list is in hopefully reaching IETF participants who choose not to subscribe to ietf-announce.

I do see your point about two copies of emails. We'll discuss if that can be addressed.

>>> - Every participant with a current Datatracker account will be
>>>   automatically subscribed to important-news.
>
> Please don't do that. It is inertia subscription. That is not nice in my opinion.
>
> How about sending each Datatracker account registered email address an email offering them "click here to subscribe"?
>
>>> - Every participant creating a new Datatracker account will
>>>   automatically be subscribed to important-news.
>
> This can be handled with a check box during account creation so that the account holder has the option.
>
>>> - Any important-news subscriber can unsubscribe at any time.
>
> Which is fine, but requires opt-out action which should not be the default.

On the points above, we'll discuss more if opt-in or opt-out should be the default.

Thanks,
Lars