Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

On 26-Sep-21 21:13, Eliot Lear wrote:
> “All problems in computer science can be solved by another level of indirection”
>
> — Butler Lampson
>
> “All problems can be solved with an additional mailing list.”
>
> — The IESG

“The correct amount of information flow to a group from its chairs/leaders
is a delta function” (i.e. a finite amount but in an infinitely narrow peak)

 — François Fluckiger

On 27-Sep-21 02:26, Salz, Rich wrote:
>   * I vaguely recall -announce being created for important announcements. And now it seems that we have cluttered that list. A better approach would be to unclutter it.
>
> Strongly agree with this!

I still don't get how 3.6 messages/day is "clutter".

I-D-announce@ is clutter. last-call@ is clutter.

A separate tracker-announce@ list might be helpful. As John Klensin suggests, interim meeting announcements could also be split out (but iirc, there is a rule that they MUST be announced).

However, it can all be sorted automatically by any decent user agent.

On 27-Sep-21 04:33, John Levine wrote:
> That's what mailman subject tags are for.

Exactly. Problem solved.

   Brian