RE: What's going on with the IETF.

Thank you for the erudite lecture. I am humbled. For thousands of years it has been the prerogative of kings and cultures to destroy offensive information from the past. In honor of your effort to eliminate communication which offends, I urge that my e-mails deploring excessive useless discussion be deleted, including this one.

From: Lloyd W <lloyd.wood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 7:28 AM
To: Gorman, Pierce <Pierce.Gorman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: What's going on with the IETF.

[External]

On 10 Sep 2021, at 08:53, Gorman, Pierce <Pierce.Gorman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry.  I apologize for being abstruse.  I was attempting to inject humor but failed.  There is a saying, "It does no good to flog (i.e., beat) a dead horse".  It refers to the futility of whipping a dead horse because no further work can be gotten out of the animal.  Sometimes the saying is used to indicate a topic has been exhaustively discussed and further discussion will not result in useful work being accomplished.

Flogging a dead horse is intersectionally:

violent - an act of beating

ableist - presuming an actor who is physically capable of flogging

sadistic - the flogging may have killed the horse

performative - the act of horsewhipping is primarily to be observed. not by the horse.

historical - horses are no longer widespread workers.

English - this particular local idiom does not translate well internationally.

Artistic - see the Chapman brothers.

equestrian - see the horse.

speciesist - why, in particular, a horse?

targetive - again, the horse.

exclusionary - see ableist, speciesist and English.

praxis - for too long, this has been accepted.

pointless - it's a dead horse.

this tired metaphor is clearly legacy offensive terminology that should be forbidden and placed on some sort of prohibited list.

Lloyd Wood

if you're going to fail at injecting humour, fail hard. Commit.

Pierce