Re: [Last-Call] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm-10

Hi Qin,

Many thanks for the review and comments.

An updated version that takes into account your inputs can be seen at: https://tinyurl.com/l3nm-latest

Please see inline for more context.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] Changed to "correlation" for clarity.

> 2. Section 5, Network topology module bullet s/using the network
> topology module in [RFC8345] /using the network topology module in
> [RFC8345] Or its extension module such as UNI topology module [I-
> D.ogondio-opsawg-uni-topology]

[Med] Went with your proposal but listed the I-D as an example to model UNI: "(e.g., [I-D.ogondio-opsawg-uni-topology])".

> 3.Section 6.1 Paragraph 1
> The last sentence describes Causal relationship between template and
> batch process and abstracting the parameter into upper SDN layer, it
> is not very clear to me that which one is cause? Which one is
> effect? Maybe I am wrong.

[Med] Agree with your comment. This one will be reworded. Thanks.

> 4.Section 6.1 Paragraph 2
> Customer sites are not modelled in the L3NM any more How about s/
> the addition or removal of customer sites / the addition or removal
> of VPN nodes

[Med] ACK

> 5.Section 6.1 Paragraph 2
> Is RT/RD synchronization mechanism between Pes in the scope of
> document? If none, please make this clear.

[Med] 6.1 is about a deployment with as single administrative domain. Not sure there is a need to talk about sync, which is more a concern for the multi-domain case.

> 6.Section 6.2, Paragraph 2
> s/service model/network model

[Med] ACK

> 7.Section 6.3 Paragraph 2
> Is MPLS P2MP the only transport for multicast traffic in this case
> or just an example transport?

[Med] This is an example in reference to this scenario. The text says: "In this scenario, ..."

> 8.Section 7.4 'rd'definition
> s/ these RD/the following RD

[Med] ACK

> 9. Section 7.6 'connection' definition
> s/from where/from which

[Med] Left the OLD wording.

> 10. Section 7.6.3 said:
> "The L3NM supports the configuration of one or more IPv4/IPv6 static
>    routes.  Since the same structure is used for both IPv4 and IPv6,
> it
>    was considered to have one single container to group both static
>    entries independently of their address family, but that design
> was
>    abandoned to ease the mapping with the structure in [RFC8299].
> "
> I think you emphasize that the L2NM and L3NM to follow the similar
> structure to ease the mapping.

[Med] Yes.

> 11.Section 7.6.3, 'status' definition
> s/ is used to control the (de)activation/can also be used to control
> the (de)activation

[Med] ACK

> 12. Section 7.6.3 'ipv6-site-of-origin' definition
> s/IPv6 Address Specific BGP Extended/IPv6 Address Specific BGP
> Extended Community

[Med] Fixed. Thanks.

> 13. Section 7.6.3 'authentition' definition under BGP I think we
> support different authentication modes such as TCP AO support, IPSEC
> support, TLS support. I am not sure that TCP MD5 should be supported
> as an option since it has break many protocols.

[Med] This is mainly to accommodate the installed base. We added a new text to remind the MD5 weakness.

> 14. Section 7.6.6 'Layer 4' definition
> s/data node under ‘l3’ (Figure 25)/data node under ‘l4’ (Figure 26)
> I didn’t check other figure number consistency.

[Med] The OLD txt is correct. The "protocol" is an L3 field.

> 15. Section 8
> s/RFC UUU/RFC XXX

[Med] That OLD one is correct as we are referring to the common model, not the L3NM. We have this note in the document:

   Please update "RFC UUUU" to the RFC number to be assigned to I-
   D.ietf-opsawg-vpn-common.

Thank you.