Re: [Last-Call] [art] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-core-senml-data-ct-04

Hi Bron,

Thank you for this quite actionable review!

> It is mostly easy to understand, however there is a missing reference to one
> registry, and some phrases that may be confusing.
>
> The missing registry is here:
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-parameters/http-parameters.xhtml#content-coding
> (I found it by following normative references, however other similarly
> registered data fields in this document link to their registries, and could
> likewise be found by following references)

I completely agree that we need to become better in identifying the registries that we are using.  Fix below.

> The document specifies `Content-Coding` as:

>      that has been or can be applied to a representation.  Confusingly,
>      in HTTP the Content-Coding is then given in a header field called
>      "Content-Encoding"; we *never* use this term (except when we are
>      in error).
>
> I found this quite confusing, and it also comes across as very snarky and
> suggesting infighting.

(It’s more about being humbled by having made the same mistake before, say in Section 12.3 of RFC 7252…)

> I suggest removing the "except when we are in error"
> entirely.
>
> I also found "has been or can be" is also confusing.  In the context of this
> document, I understood Content-Coding in a `ct` field to mean that said coding
> HAS BEEN applied to the value in `vd`, however this wording makes me question
> that assumption.

That text was stolen from RFC 7231:

   Content coding values indicate an encoding transformation that has
   been or can be applied to a representation.  Content codings are

But “can be" here probably is more about Accept-Encoding, for which we don’t have an equivalent in SenML, so we can leave this aspect out.

> Maybe something like this is sufficient?

> [RFC7230].  Confusingly, in HTTP the Content-Coding is found in a field called
> "Content-Encoding", however "Content-Coding" is the correct term.

Combining some better use of references (see your point above) with this input, I came up with:

      registry [IANA.http-parameters] as specified by Section 8.5 of
      [RFC7230], indicating an encoding transformation with semantics
      further specified in Section 3.1.2.1 of [RFC7231].  Confusingly,
      in HTTP the Content-Coding is found in a header field called
      "Content-Encoding", however "Content-Coding" is the correct term.

(Links in the HTML version on every section or registry reference, which are not visible in this plaintext copy-paste.)

Now in https://github.com/core-wg/senml-data-ct/commit/90a3deb

> The other confusing section was this in section 3:
>
>  If no "@" sign is present outside the media type parameters, the
>  Content-Coding is not specified and the "identity" Content-Coding is used --
>  no encoding transformation is employed.
>
> "If no @ sign is present outside" is a really clunky turn of phrase that left
> me more confused than the examples!  I assume this construction was used
> because theoretically an '@' sign could be present inside the media-type, or
> inside a parameter, if correctly quoted.  I would suggest at least changing
> "present outside" to after, or trailing, or something.
>
> Maybe this?
>
> If no "@" sign is present after the media-type parameters, then no
> Content-Coding has been specified, and the "identity" Content-Coding is used --
> no encoding transformation is employed.

I restructured the paragraph along these lines:

   To indicate that a Content-Coding is used with a Content-Type, the
   Content-Coding value is appended to the Content-Type value (media
   type and parameters, if any), separated by a "@" sign.  For example
   (using a Content-Coding value of "deflate" as defined in
   Section 4.2.2 of [RFC7230]):

   text/plain; charset=utf-8@deflate

   If no "@" sign is present after the media type and parameters, then
   no Content-Coding has been specified, and the "identity" Content-
   Coding is used -- no encoding transformation is employed.

(Again, a link in the HTML version on the section reference.)

Now in https://github.com/core-wg/senml-data-ct/pull/4/commits/4d994bb

> Other than those two slightly confusing bits, great document - I enjoyed
> reading it and the intentions, purpose and use of this document are clear.

Thank you!

Grüße, Carsten