Re: xml2rfc line break

Am 17.08.2021 um 11:07 schrieb Carsten Bormann:
Hi,

On 2021-08-17, at 10:37, heasley <heas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I appologize if there is a better forum for this question, I didnt find one.
Cluebat welcome.

The answer to this question isn’t quite as clear-cut as it could; we don’t have an “rfcxml-authors” list, but typically these questions come up on the xml2rfc mailing list (or rfc-interest, or tools-discuss…).

Is it possible to insert a line break in the contents of a list?

<ol>
<li>
  bunch of hooey
  <line break>
  more hoo-ah
</li>

Everything that I have tried results in errors from xml2rfc.

First of all, I’m assuming you are using xml2rfc with --v3 flags (<ol/<li is new syntax for v3).  Even though there is older documentation that is supposedly more authoritative, the RFCXMLv3 we actually use is described in https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/xml2rfc-doc.html

https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/xml2rfc-doc.html#name-br-2
describes the <br element, which can do exactly what you want, and is in the content model for <li.
So the example becomes:

<ol>
<li>
  bunch of hooey
  more hoo-ah
</li>

Grüße, Carsten

Or, if you actually want a list item containing two paragraphs:

<ol>
  <li>
    <t>bunch of hooey</t>
    <t>more hoo-ah</t>