RE: The right of way principle... Was: IPv6 Anycast has been killed by

Hi Phillip,

Philosophy is a bad thing for exact science, for example, engineering.

Let me give you an opposite philosophical example:

If all decisions are cut in stope for ages then mistakes would be only accumulated till the whole system would collapse.

Is it what you imply below pushing “principles”?

You see, it is possible to prove anything by philosophy. Any technological nonsense. And the discussion could be eternal.

Conclusion: Arguments should be only technical and commercial that are verifiable.

Moreover, anycast and multicast are both hacks for IP architecture.

Hence, it is peculiar that you prize multicast but deny anycast.

The rules are important to coordinate people, if everybody would be pulling in different directions at the same time – it would be a mess without any progress.

Hence, I believe that the existence of RFC 7094 is the tombstone for Anycast.

Anycast for stateful traffic is just banned by IETF. Hence, it is better to follow the IETF decision.

Anybody that would assume that Anycast is possible to use (for stateless connections) is acting against standards at his own risk. Do not complain later that your proprietary solution does not work.

Hence, no problem that LINUX has finished it off. Anybody could abuse RFC 7094.

Would like something different – welcome to 7094bis to release this ban.

Just discussion in any alias may help to reach a common understanding but not to release the formal Anycast ban for stateful connections.

Even Linux parch revert is not a full solution to the problem – RFC 7094 is awaiting for the next engineer to abuse it.

Why I believe that Anycast is needed for connections too. IMHO: This general use case is very strong:

The final destination computer would never scale to the size needed.

It would be always many computers, for some use cases many thousands of computers, up to the situation when traffic would be bigger than the capacity of any stateful Load Balancer that may be installed in front of these computers.

Then one would need to load balance on the stateless routers (or even network of routers) to achieve the needed scale for load balancing.

It is exactly what is banned by RFC 7094.

Load balancing by DNS is possible too, but it has many differences – it is not an equal replacement.

Eduard