Re: SONIC - OpenRAN "5G" and IP at the edge

Hi,

What is notspots? "notspots"

Behcet
On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:04 AM Christian de Larrinaga <cdel=40firsthand.net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've regarded 5G as more spin than a technology. To some extent
yesterday's launch by the UK Telco regulator of a lab (SONIC) for
testing interop of OpenRAN supporting devices (5g sic!) which the
UK is putting a lot of faith in, confirms this. As 5G has a lot of
stools and gaps between them, whilst diversity is thin.

My pref for building greater diversity in networks at the edge
differs from the cellular model in that I'd like to see more open
spectrum for wifi like end points and fibre / wireless p2p links
to IXPs. I also don't see the point in carrying on with TDM dial
support and all the overhead in the network for that but providing
SIP /webrtc with SIP trunking / ss7 interconnects where legacy
connections are needed. I might be unusual in that I never use my
mobile minutes or SMS allowance as I use data.

I noted a draft in 2019 that got all the way to 00 status that
took a stab at IP and OpenRAN but I've not studied it in detail
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-trossen-icnrg-internet-icn-5glan-00.html

presentation:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/106/materials/slides-106-icnrg-icn-5g-lan-chonggang-wang-00

What work is ongoing or product via IETF that might be presentable
to test at SONIC and build out for networks?

I am particularly thinking initially of application for "notspots"
and avoiding OPENRAN / 3GPP core designs for front/backhaul, going
straight to IP from the radio.

Any thoughts?

refs:

https://uk5g.org/discover/testbeds-and-trials/sonic/