Re: [Last-Call] [EXT] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dtn-bpsec-default-sc-07

Christian,

  Thank you for this updated review.

  I understand and agree with your additional comments on AEAD and have produced a -08 which I hope clarifies options around the handling of the authentication tag.

  Three quick observations:

-           The BCB-AES-GCM security context will always be documented for the GCM mode of AES so, as you say, managing this complexity for AES-GCM is workable. But also agree that for DTN at large, as we work to incorporate newer encryption algorithms, new security context documents will be produced and authentication/encryption can be joined for those documents and algorithms in a less complex way.

-          We are still working with (some) aes-gcm libraries whose APIs separate the authentication tag. For example, the mbedtls (https://www.trustedfirmware.org/projects/mbed-tls/) API uses the function  mbedtls_gcm_crypt_and_tag which takes the tag separately from the cipher text.  For interoperability, pulling the tag into a security result is helpful. If a security source were to produce a blob that represented an unknown ordering of cipher text and authentication tag, then a security destination using mbedtls would not necessarily know where in that blob to pull the tag when constructing the call to mbedtls_gcm_crypt_and_tag. Preferring to extract the tag is clearly more complexity but it also may be helpful when working in networks that have deployed different AES-GCM implementations at different nodes.

-          There has been some discussion where having certain extension blocks be fixed-size would help with processing, which is what made the AES-GCM cipher suite attractive to those uses. Keeping the tag separate is a way to preserve that length constraint in the few cases where that is helpful.

  Again, thank you for your time; these reviews have made the default security context document much more complete and useful.

-Ed

---

Edward J. Birrane, III, Ph.D.

Embedded Applications Group Supervisor

Space Exploration Sector

Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory

(W) 443-778-7423 / (F) 443-228-3839