Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-rtgwg-policy-model-28.txt> (A YANG Data Model for Routing Policy) to Proposed Standard

On 07/06/2021 23:51, The IESG wrote:

The IESG has received a request from the Routing Area Working Group WG
(rtgwg) to consider the following document: - 'A YANG Data Model for Routing
Policy'
   <draft-ietf-rtgwg-policy-model-28.txt> as Proposed Standard

The challenge with this I-D, as has been discussed on the WG list, is the references, in two regards. It is a generic model that is likely to be used with an augmentation from a routing protocol specific model such as BGP. Indeed, the I-D includes such an example except that it is not an example but the real thing, based on the current status of bgp-model but with no guarantee as to what the bgp-model will look like as and when the bgp-model is an RFC when it could be a challenge to understand this model. bgp-model is not a Normative Reference - in a sense it is not one, but that could cause difficulties as above.

The other issue with a reference is that it Normatively references netmod-sub-intf-vlan-model, which expired last year.

The issue is not new; ospf-yang has been waiting a few years for its references to progress but I do see it as problematic.

Tom Petch

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
last-call@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2021-06-22. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

    This document defines a YANG data model for configuring and managing
    routing policies in a vendor-neutral way.  The model provides a
    generic routing policy framework which can be extended for specific
    routing protocols using the YANG 'augment' mechanism.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-policy-model/