Re: Moderation at scale is hard^Wimpossible, or Why we really can't use Facebook for technical discussion.

Hey John,

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 3:17 PM John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
FB is big enough that there are entire businesses and political
campaigns that live on it, with large financial consequences depending
on who sees what. The stakes are much higher, and the scale is so huge
that no matter how large their farm of human moderators, the humans
will never see more than a miniscule slice of the traffic.

True. And I am sure most people on this list understand the challenges of running things at scale. The point of the initial thread, however, was to discuss whether it is a good idea for us (i.e., IETF) to place ourselves in a situation where we are surrendering the ability to address such challenges according to our established values and practices. Dean's example provides one good demonstration of how this could be annoying or even harmful.

Now, I could easily argue that Facebook (and most social networks really) should themselves be looking into how they could be enabling their users to apply the principles of subsidiarity but that would indeed be out of scope for this list.

Cheers,
Emil

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D.               Austin, TX
Project Lead,                  USA