Re: Apology Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:26:13 -0500 (EST), Dean Anderson wrote:
>However, I think there are things that show some promise that might be
>harder to adapt to, such as automated text summarization, bayesian
>filters, mail agents that filter on the user's interest in the message
>subject, and such.

How about "You are a polluter, your connectivity has terminated, you
are on a customer blacklist, and you will never get connectivity from
us again"?  Spammers would have a little trouble adapting to that.

>I think these are worth pursuing, but these are not
>subjects for the IETF.

IETF's documenting that this is the behavior expected of any firm offering
connectivity is certainly within the IETF's purview.  And it would have
a dramatic effect.  (Partly because of norms; partly, at least in the
U.S., because it would expose pollution-enabling ISPs to heavy-duty
legal liabilities.  Stockholders would get after their boards.)

Jeffrey Race