Re: "Principles" of "Spam-abatement"

Vernon Schryver <vjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All of the possible good and bad aspects of any possible "trust" or
> "reputation" system are already present in the current system.

   Not so.

> - If you say that you can't trust ISPs to check that a new customer
>   is not Al Ralsky in disguise or one of his proxies, then you must
>   say the same about any other organization.

   ISPs operate in a _very_ different business environment than, say,
UNICEF.

> - If you say that ISPs cannot check the reputation of new customers
>   for a $30/month account, then you must say the same about any
>   other organization.

   ISPs offering $30-per-month service are very likely losing money
(and worrying who to lay off next). Your bank, OTOH, is probably
doing nicely on less than $30-per-month service charges. Also, some
ISPs have no reason to worry much about their reputation, because
they have in effect a government-mandated near-monopoly.

> - If you trust some of those other outfits to revoke their virtual
>   letters of introduction and recommendation, then you must be
>   willing to trust some ISPs to do the same and terminate accounts.

   Ah, yes, but _which_ ISPs?

> - If you say that third party organization could assure you that
>   a mail sender is not a spammer, then you must agree that an ISP
>   could check with that organization before adding a password to
>   a RADIUS server or or turn on a DSLAM, and that an ISP could
>   terminate an account when that third party revokes is assurance.

   The first part is actually true: I think we'd actually see that
if such third-party services come into common use. :^)

   The second part (terminating) is not true, IMHO. There's a real
danger of getting sued for that, not to mention the loss of revenue.
However, donning Pangloss's hat, I do hope that they might activate
some port-25 bandwidth-limiting. ;^)

> If you believe that "reputation" or "trust" systems might help
> the spam problem, then the only room for improvement is in the
> trust query protocol. DNS is a screw driver being used as a
> hammer in DNS blacklists.

   Current DNS blacklists are, IMHO, trying to do an impossible job.

> However, this is merely a matter of optimization or elegance.

   I disagree: it's a matter of biting off more than you can chew.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>