Re: [Last-Call] [bess] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-msdp-sa-interoperation-05

Thanks Leonard that answers my questions.

Kind Regards

Gyan
On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 2:40 PM Leonard Giuliano <lenny@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Gyan- most of these interop questions for MSDP-MVPN are covered in
RFC6514.  This doc makes no changes to those procedures.  This doc simply
addresses a fundamental gap that was missed in RFC6514- specifically that
MSDP SAs contain 3 pieces of info (source, group, originating RP) and MVPN
SAs contain 2 pieces of info (source, group).  So everything is fine in
the MSDP SA -> MVPN SA direction, but the opposite direction (MVPN SA ->
MSDP SA) will be missing this important chunk of info, which MSDP requires
to perform peer-RPF.  This doc basically sticks the RP address into a BGP
EC so RP address can be propagated across the MVPN P domain and
transmitted back out when sending MSDP SAs on the other side.

Otherwise, RFC6514 rules apply: MSDP accepts/rejects SAs based on it's
peer-RPF rules and MVPN uses BGP selection rules to determine the best
route.

Hope this answers your questions,

-Lenny