Re: Reminder: IETF 111 Birds of a Feather (BOF) proposals requested by 28 May

Dear IESG, adding Aaron as CC ...

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 11:45 AM Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there a process for proposing/announcing virtual bar BOFs?

With QUIC set to be published, there are quite a few folk who are interested in alternative approaches that meet very different use cases and take approaches that are outside the QUIC design constraints. So while it is not necessarily the case that any of that work will ever become a WG or RG, there is a lot of experience that folk would like to discuss and socialize.

For example, I have a scheme that is specifically designed for transactional and streaming Web services that combines the capabilities of TCP/HTTPS with those of SOAP+WS-Security. In the process, I think I understand the original design mistake in the SOAP approach. This is definitely not stuff you would want to support Web Browser use cases but it is definitely stuff that is relevant to IoT and transactional services.

I am aware of at least three other transports, each optimized for slightly different cases. This is the sort of thing we would usually meet in the bar to discuss or hold a formal Bar BOF. It would be good to discuss under NOTE WELL.

This is the kind of thing that the IESG asked Aaron Falk to shepherd as Hot RFC Lightning Talks, starting at IETF 101 (the descriptions and slides weren't put in the meeting materials for IETF 101, but that started in IETF 102 - I think I remember you giving some of those, don't I? details at https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/hotrfc/meetings/).

I am not unbiased, but I found those awesome, both when I was on the IESG and after I stepped down and started announcing informal meetings myself).

It looks like the last IETF where we were able to do that was IETF 106 - HotRFC got canceled along with everything else for IETF 107, and it looks like a scheduling request was submitted for IETF 109, but we haven't had HOTRFC talks in a while.

Two thoughts here -
  • Aaron's Rules were basically that you had 4 minutes to talk about any subject that was likely to be of interest to some portion of the IETF community, and then he rang very gentlemanly gong and hooked the speaker off the stage to applause), and that you needed to be onsite to announce a topic in HOTRFC, because Back In Those Times, we didn't have easy access to remote conferencing facilities and (more important) places to talk that were quiet enough for allow remote participation in side meetings, so we wanted to make sure people could follow the speakers out of the room. The second rule isn't necessary now, because ALL of the HotRFC speakers would be virtual for IETF 111, and many might be virtual for a while after that.
  • We always had HOTRFC talks on Sunday night, because (IIRC) that was as long as we could wait for people to show up onsite, without losing time for HOTRFC proponents to schedule meetings and talk with people onsite. That might still be the right answer for virtual or split virtual/onsite IETFs, or it might not, but IESGs can certainly figure stuff like that out, or just delegate to someone smart, like we did with Aaron.
If anyone on the current IESG would be interested in restarting HOTRFC talks, I'd be happy to help with institutional memory, and Aaron would be a wealth of information.

I THINK all that's needed is someone to say "let's schedule this" and decide who will be the host who can mute speakers who run over their four minutes 😀. The secretariat is good at making stuff like this happen.

Best,

Spencer