Re: Stray thoughts on ' Update of IESG statement "Last Call Guidance to the Community"'

On 22/04/2021 21:59, Adam Roach wrote:

On 4/22/21 15:40, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Tom,

Last, comments from organised review teams should be sent to the last
call list as opposed to being made available to the community.
The last call list *is* available to the community, so this is just
being more specific about what "available to the community" means.
Is that a problem?

More pointedly -- it lets folks see discussions of IETF work product without them getting lost among (checks notes) 150 messages about a New York Times article, 132 posts about QUIC and DNSSEC, and 234 messages about inclusiveness.

I'm not necessarily saying these topics aren't worth discussing; but it's important to get broad consensus on the documents we publish as RFCs, and we can't afford to lose those conversations under the crush of high-volume topics. The risk of documents in last call getting lost in the noise is far more of a barrier to being "available to the community" than the use of a dedicated mailing list.