Re: Protocol and format (Was: New Approach For Discussing IPv10.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 5:09 PM John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It appears that Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>So instead of the Internet core routers knowing the IPaddress->ASN tables,
>they are given the ASN number and an opaque blob.
>
>This approach would require packets to be converted from network format
>(IPv6) to IPvX format at the network gateway and back again. And of course,
>packets would have to carry information that allows the IPv6
>source/destination to be recovered at the other end.

It sounds like every network gateway needs the equivalent of a full
set of routing tables to map address->ASN.  Am I missing something
or is that going to have a few scaling problems?

I was merely enumerating the possibility space.

Yes, you would need the ASN data but you don't necessarily need to get that from the routing tables, it could be pushed out as part of discovery. There could be a small cache backed up by an online lookup service.

At this point, the market for interesting new directions in networking is probably limited to LEO satellite constellations. They have the money and the cost constraints because their entire legacy infrastructure will not just become obsolete, it will literally crash and burn every 5-10 years or so.