Re: Protocol and format (Was: New Approach For Discussing IPv10.

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote on 19/04/2021 20:32:
The one approach that is meaningfully different and could work is to dispense with the IPv6 source AND destination addresses and prefix packets with the destination ASN number instead.

I guess an ASN is attractive to the extent that it's a number that every routing entity already has, but it's got nearly 40 years of baggage and encumbering it with even more is not likely to end well. Do we want a single routing policy for every identifier in an ASN? Fine for leaf sites with small numbers of identifiers; not so good for larger networks.

It's worth noting that there have been plenty of locator/identifier proposals over the years. LISP was the most successful but is still not widely used on the internet.

Nick