Re: [Last-Call] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-crocker-inreply-react-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 2:49 PM Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Section 6

   The IANA is request to register the React MIME Content-Disposition
   parameter, per [RFC2183]

    Content-Disposition parameter name:    React

   Allowable values for this parameter:    (none)

At https://www.iana.org/assignments/cont-disp/cont-disp.xhtml I see
distinct registries for "Content Disposition Values" and "Content
Disposition Parameters".
It notably does not have any columns relating what parameters are
allowed for use with a given value.
[...]

I looked into this with IANA, and there's no good explanation for the discrepancy between what RFC 2183 proscribes and the current format of the registry.  This is the first time it's been raised.  I asked the authors to correct it as Ben suggested, which was done in the -12 version, but neglected to actually read RFC 2183, on the assumption that the registry is correct.  But it isn't.  Mea culpa.

It's probably not urgent, but we do need to figure out how to fix this.  It seems to me that we either need to direct IANA to add the column, and tell them how to backfill it for current entries, or spin up a revision to RFC 2183 that drops the column if it's not actually needed.

I'll ask on the ART and media-types lists for opinions.

-MSK