Re: A contribution to ongoing terminology work

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 11:51:08AM -0700, S Moonesamy wrote:
> The discussion is, on one hand, about freedom of expression, and on the

FYI the discussion is not, for me, about freedom of expression, for we
do not have a right to have the IETF publish our documents as RFCs.  For
me this is largely about how the proposed change is justified.  Others
care more about whether it is justified.  It must be possible to offer
serious arguments about the justification of the proposal.

> other hand, which IETF Contributions can be published on the IETF web site.
> There are similar discussions in other places [1][2].  At the individual
> level, the author of one of the drafts stated that dissenting viewpoints
> were ignored and that his intention was to put his dissent on record.

Indeed, and that made satire a reasonable choice at this time, and it
clearly has had an effect.  Perhaps it even had the effect of causing
the community to notice that some have had their arguments ignored or
treated with condescention and moral disapproval without enough
substantive discussion.  Surely we want to take serious arguments
seriously so that we may be taken seriously in return.

Nico