Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

> Now traditionally in IP networks we get away with lots of stuff, but
> do you think that something like this would hold up in the voice
> business?

voice is dominated by large players including some governments, and
international interconnection seems to be regulated by the itu.  if
voice were full of mom&pop's the way IP is, then i daresay i would
not be interrupted at my dinner hour by telemarketers nearly as often,
simply because there would be no path from them to me.

> (Things are slightly different for mail but not fundamentally so,
> especially as some ISPs are forcing their customers to use their
> relays.)

until the day a cable/dsl provider decides to block "vpn access", none
of that will matter.  and since users of same working remotely with vpn
access back to "the office" are a large part of the subscriber base, and
are not a source of abuse, i do not expect them to block vpn's.  with
vpn's comes the freedom to do your business elsewhere (where it's safe)
and use the cable/dsl line for access (as it seems to be intended) rather
than for "real internet" (for which it seems ill suited.)