Re: We should have a Wheel/2 Research Group

On 3/6/21 6:52 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

"This time, we are going to consider round"

(yes, this is IRTF, but...)

One of the most frequent comments on new work proposals is 'no need to re-invent the wheel'.

Well maybe we should do that more often. We have 40 years of path dependence in IETF working groups. Rethinking a protocol from scratch can have unexpected returns that are completely orthogonal to the original idea.

As an exercise, yes.   But probably not with the expectation that the new wheel will replace the old one.

Second-system effect is alive and well.

Keith