Re: What ASN.1 got right

On 3/4/21 2:17 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

My point here isn't to defend how TLS works, it's to say that almost nothing requires the truly offline verification aspect that x.509 brings to the table.

Emphatically disagree.   There are lots of situations requiring "truly offline" certificate verification.

I can (and have) built a asymmetric key login mechanism that just puts naked public keys into a user table of a database, for example. The x.509-first view of the asymmetric keys world has confused a lot of thinking and had I introduced it to that mechanism it would have worlds more complex and much harder to understand. Designers should, dare I say it, be looking at the actual requirements of the system before settling on a particular solution.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

Keith