Re: What ASN.1 got right

On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 09:19:32AM -0800, Michael Thomas wrote:
> On 3/4/21 9:15 AM, Nico Williams wrote:

> > > "requires an online" being the key phrase. If you require online, you can
> > > reduce the revocation linger time to zero, and you don't need to onerous
> > > infrastructure of X.509 at all. Naked public keys are our friends.
> > The "... that is required only once or twice per rotation period for any
> > one end entity" part is an essential modifier to "requires an online".
> > You can't focus on the "requires an online" without addressing the other
> > part.
>
> Your online requirements cherry picks that the online requirements will
> neatly line up in times of need and ignores other online requirements.
> Authentication is one small part of a larger system. That larger system
> almost always needs to be online 24/7. X.509 is a relic from the past.

I've explained about online requirements on every transaction vs. once
in a while.  It's not cherry-picking.  It's trade-offs.  I've tried
explaining, and you can disagree with good technical arguments about
cases where there's better trade-offs or whatever, but instead you've
just been unnecessarily rude.  Have a nice day.