Re: What ASN.1 got right

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 11:09:31PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> There's something I used to call "ASN.1 disease", but it applies equally to
> XDR, some uses of XML, and a lot of other systems used to define data
> structures used in communications.
>
> The basic problem is that if you give people the ability to generate and
> require arbitrarily complex type-checked data structures, protocol designers
> will use that ability to create overly complex structures.   This in turn
> makes protocols and implementations much more brittle and less interoperable
> than they should be.   Every non-optional field must be specified and
> checked whether it is needed or not, it's more difficult to extend such
> protocols when needed, and implementation bugs that break things at a level
> which is hard to work around are far too common.

There's another side effect which this often enables (although
arguably this is the fault of the working group / standards committee)
which is that it becomes easier to settle disagreements by adding
large numbers of optional fields / substructures.  If you are using
fixed-length encodings, such as what is found in, say PPP, you can
still have extensibility, but since it's painful to create the
ASCII-art packet formats, I theorize this acts as a check against
unneceessary protocol complexity.

ASN.1-specified protocols tend to be far more complex, because it's
*easier* to create complexity, and this results in implementors having
to agree on profiles which are the subset of the protocol that
implementations _actually_ implement, and if there are different
profiles with different subset, there goes any hope of
interoperability.

						 - Ted