Re: [Gendispatch] Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

Hiya,

On 23/02/2021 08:18, Dominique Lazanski wrote:
One is different approaches to topics than the mainstream IETF
approach held by most IETF attendees. I am thinking about privacy/encryption...
That topic differs from others in this discussion
in that the IETF has repeatedly debated it in lots
of detail, and with many different opinions being
factored in, and over decades, and has established a
set of rough consensus positions after significant
informed debate on a topic where IETF participants
are pretty well qualified to claim expertise.

Other aspects of this discussion relate to things
where we've not really noticed that we even have a
position, e.g. the use of terms that were considered
ok in the past, but aren't today, or where we're not
at all expert, e.g. handling our own biases.

I think our approach to handling claims that we'd
be better to change should validly differ in the
above two cases - it is *much* harder to bring
really new information in the former case than in
the latter for example.

Cheers,
S.