Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-cdni-uri-signing-20.txt> (URI Signing for Content Delivery Network Interconnection (CDNI)) to Proposed Standard

Mark,

I took some time to read through BCP190 and spoke with some experienced people offline to make sure I was as informed as possible. I also read through RFC 6570 (URI Template) which seemed promising but has a fatal flaw for my use case. My document relies on another WG document (RFC 8006) to handle disseminating configuration data between the Content Service Providers and the various levels of CDNs. The intent is that processing of this data is done in an automated manner. So a requirement for my document is that however I configure where the URI Signing Package is in the URI, it needs to be able to be processed programmatically. Using URI Templates I can take a template and variables and create a URI, but I cannot take a template and a URI and derive the variables. The syntax makes it ambiguous.

Additionally, the text you cited is my clumsy attempt to describe how to parse URI query parameters, and not how to generate a URI. Our parameter key is also not specified in the document, but passed out of band. All that is required in the document is for the recipient to be able to parse path parameters and query parameters looking for the previously agreed upon key name.

Furthermore, upon reading of RFC 6570 I see references to "path-style parameters" and "form-style parameters" with no normative or informative reference accompanying it. That would lead me to believe that my text on how to parse these isn't needed and is only likely to cause confusion to implementers.

So what I would like to propose as a change is that I remove my parameter parsing text and replace it with text stating something to the effect of "MUST parse all path-style and form-style parameters and SHOULD use the first instance a key with the previously agreed upon name." I believe this is still in the spirit of BCP 190.

Thanks.