Re: [Manycouches] Meet Only line - I object

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
With current technology, virtual meetings are markedly inferior to
physical meetings. I oppose any reduction from three such meetings a
year, when they can be held, as such a change will make the IETF less
effective.

I'd like to see more online and not have 3 in-person meetings a year.  The lower costs may make it more accessible to some who cannot afford to travel.  It is also more equitable if everyone is remote for at least some of the meetings.  One time a year in person might be fine and I think we can figure that out.  This may also help primary caretakers of children or parents.  I know that has been a barrier expressed int he past from parents of young children.

In terms of timelines, some countries have not started to vaccinate yet as the richer countries have bought the initial supplies. With virus mutations, I suspect the IETF won't be able to meet in July if transmission of variants is possible.

Equitable considerations should be factored into the decision process.

Best regards,
Kathleen

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx