Re: Maintenance WG: ent of Selections

On 28/01/2021 19:05, Joel Halpern wrote:
With regard to maintenance, the two areas I am most active in each have
enough maintenance that having one WG for all the maintenance (in each
area) simply would not work.  IDR, LSR, and MPLS for Routing.  6man
(which is even named as a maintenance group) and DHC (and probably even
some of the others) in Internet.

More generally, the work of an organisation can be divided into project and process, and the IETF is no exception. To the process category, I might add TCPM, netconf, netmod. If a prococol is successful, then, almost by definition, you need a process WG for it.

You could wish for a WG Chair to cut their teeth on a project WG before moving on to the greater demands of a process one.

Tom Petch

Yes, the IETF used to have a policy against long lived working groups.
We found it didn't work.

Yours,
Joel