Re: [Last-Call] Iotdir telechat review of draft-ietf-core-dev-urn-09

Jari:

All but one of my comments are resolved.

Section 6 says:

 ... An implementation of the DEV URN MUST NOT
 change these properties from what they were intended.

It is not clear to me the meaning of "they" in this sentence.
Please clarify.

I made a small change, but I’m not sure how else to express this. We are talking about whether identifiers are modifiable for instance. The whole paragraph reads now:

On most devices, the user can display device identifiers. Depending
on circumstances, device identifiers may or may not be modified or
tampered with by the user. An implementation of the DEV URN MUST NOT change
such limitations or behaviour from what they were intended. In particular, a device
identifier that is intended to be immutable should not become mutable
as a part of implementing the DEV URN type. More generally, nothing in
this document should be construed to override what the relevant device
specifications have already said about the identifiers.

I am still unsure what an implementer would do to comply the MUST NOT statement.  Maybe it will helpful to turn it into a MUST statement.  Does this work for you?

On most devices, the user can display device identifiers. Depending
on circumstances, device identifiers may or may not be modified or
tampered with by the user. An implementation of the DEV URN MUST preserve
such limitations and behaviors associated with the device identifiers. In particular,
a device identifier that is intended to be immutable should not become mutable
as a part of implementing the DEV URN type. More generally, nothing in
this document should be construed to override what the relevant device
specifications have already said about the identifiers.

Russ