Re: Old directions in social media.

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> That is irrelevant. I use Git all the time for the purpose for which
> it is designed - managing source code. I do not use it as a process
> driven collaboration tool because it is not at all well designed for
> that except within the very narrow focus of managing and tracking
> code.

More specifically, github is designed around tracking and managing
things (not just code) that have very little subjectivity in what is
being tracked.  Issue 5 is created because code is failing a test or
feature and needs to be fixed.  Though there may be fights over the
right way to implement a feature, or whether spaces and tabs are used,
they're short lived and in the end most decisions in things that end up
in git are objectively measurable as to whether an issue should be
closed.

That's not true for IETF discussions where there are huge amounts of
back and forths, and restatements, and a lot of objectivity in the
discussions.  That's where issue trackers will break down the most.

--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI