Re: Fix IPV6 literal notation?

In article <CAHBU6isQNkE0tmsn7v41Vptgf2OCTQ61gwMKDN4hmK4pBY-J9w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>See https://twitter.com/dave_universetf/status/1342685822286360576 to which
>I heartily concur. IPV6 addresses are neither easy for humans to read, nor
>easy for software to parse.

I don't understand what the point of that tweet stream is. Yes, there
was a lot of funky code in 4BSD thirty-five years ago, including in
the IP address parsers. But so what?  As Victor said, these days every
actual IP address you will encounter is in a handful of familiar forms.

Parsing them is not hard or slow. I wrote a version of grepcidr that
matches all of the modern forms of v4 and v6 addresses with a state
machine that looks at each character once and doesn't back up. It's
plenty fast.

R's,
John

PS: https://www.taugh.com/grepcidr-2/