Re: [admin-discuss] Proposal to cease accepting IPR disclosures by unstructured email

Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 08:44:29AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter:
> > If IPR arises after adoption, the draft should
> > automatically return to an adoption call - but much better to simply not
> > allow it.
>
> Firstly, an adoption call is not a formal or required part of the IETF process, it is simply a pragmatic step that some WGs use (see RFC7221). So we can't have a requirement to repeat a step that isn't required in the first place.

so discard it, forcing them to start from the beginning.

> Secondly, we have no power to "disallow" late IPR disclosures.

make it painful.

> Sometimes people only discover patents late, and do us a favour by notifying them. That particularly applies to third party disclosures, or patents elsewhere in a large company**.

> Sometimes people are legally or contractually unable to make disclosures until their employer decides to publish an application.

That is not a valid excuse.  They know about it, therefore should not
submit the draft until they decide what they're doing.

> I'm sure there are other cases too, such as when an IETF Last Call triggers a disclosure by somebody who has been unaware of the draft until then.

back to the beginning of the process.