RZERC Draft Documents For Review

Hello IETF,

I wanted to provide a quick update on the work going on in the RZERC. We have been discussing and iterating on the two documents attached and we have reached the point where we would like to gather feedback from the various constituencies represented in the RZERC. As your local member, I will be collecting any feedback on the documents ahead of our next meeting on the 19th of January. If possible, please provide any feedback here or directly to me the 15th of January.

Document 1: Recommendations Regarding Signing Root Zone Name Server Data - This document outlines the benefits and potential concerns related to signing the root-servers.net zone. It recommends that the ICANN org conduct studies into the impact that signing the root-servers.net zone might have.

Document 2: Adding Zone Data Protections to the Root Zone - This document discusses recommends that the Root Server Operators, Public Technical Identifiers and the Root Zone Maintainer do the necessary work to create a plan for deploying ZONEMD, ensuring that it would not negatively impact the distribution of the zone data to the Root Server System. It also recommends that the DNS and Internet community be notified of the changes all under the assumption that draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest becomes an RFC.

Again, if you have any comments or feedback on the documents, please provide them be January 15th.

--tim