Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-gont-numeric-ids-sec-considerations-06.txt> (Security Considerations for Transient Numeric Identifiers Employed in Network Protocols) to Best Current Practice

Hello, Eric,

On 13/12/20 18:52, Eric Rescorla wrote:
On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 12:40 AM Fernando Gont <fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
[....]
     > Turning to specific examples, Section 4 lists a number of practices
     > that are described as "common flaws". Out of these, QUIC and
     > DTLS both arguably do the following:
     >
     >     o  Employing trivial algorithms (e.g. global counters) that
    result in
     >        predictable identifiers
     >
     >     o  Initializing counters or timers to constant values, when such
     >        initialization is not required
     >
     > And potentially:
     >
     >     o  Employing the same increment space across different contexts
     >
     > However, due to their design, QUIC and DTLS are intended to be
     > resistant to attacks based on these choices. In particular, they:
     >
     > 1. Cryptographically authenticate datagrams in order to prevent
     >     injection attacks.
     >
     > 2. Encrypt the packet/sequence numbers so that they are not
    exposed on
     >     the wire (QUIC all the time and DTLS 1.3).
     >
     > Of course, it might be the case that these defenses are insufficient
     > (that would be useful to know!) but this document does not provide
     > much assistance in making that evaluation.

    I'd argue the other way around.
    For example, if you don't need the ID to share the same increment
    space,
    then, when you are sharing the same increment space, you're potentially
    leaking information (resulting from the increments) from one context to
    the other, without any requirement to do so.

    And my question would be: why do it, when you don't need to?  If this
    information turned out to be of use for an attacker, would the argument
    be "Well, we knew we were unnecessarily leaking information, but even
    when we had choices not to, we did it anyways, because we thought it
    was
    harmless"?

Let's take the specific case of QUIC and DTLS packet/sequence numbers.

In both cases, the packet/sequence numbers start from zero and increment
monotonically (arguably violating the first two points) and regardless of path (violating the second two points).

This is what our document says:

   1.  Clearly specify the interoperability requirements for the
       aforementioned identifiers (e.g., required properties such as
       uniqueness, along with the failure severity if such properties
       are not met).

   2.  Provide a security and privacy analysis of the aforementioned
       identifiers.

   3.  Recommend an algorithm for generating the aforementioned
       identifiers that mitigates security and privacy issues, such as
       those discussed in [I-D.irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation].

I'm not sure how what you describe is violating points #1 and #2, because #1 is essentially what a proper specification should have anyway (interoperability requirements) and you might argue that you should be doing #2 anyway (most implementations don't, but should).

Now, either this is an OK practice because
of header encryption (the position that both QUIC and DTLS take) or it is
a bad practice (the position that this draft seems to take). But we shouldn't
be simultaneously publishing documents which take both positions.

To address your substantive point: I don't think this is leaking information to
the attacker because the headers are encrypted, and having some other
structure would be more complicated in a number of ways.

The attacker could certainly be the remote endpoint you are communicating with -- it need not be an off-path or on-path attacker. *If* employing such identifiers was leaking information about other network activities you're performing, would allow for tracking, or any variation of this, that'd still be information leakage in by book.

[...]

    I believe that not recommending a good/safe choice for generating IDs
    has been proved to be problematic. If a protocol is successful enough,
    it's very likely that you will see multiple independent implementations
    (from folks that are not involved in the protocol design, etc.), and
    that bad choices will be made if there is no recommendation.

As noted above, QUIC connection identifiers are opaque and indeed are
specifically not intended to be interpreted by the other side. Thus if
the structure of those identifiers is relevant, something has gone wrong.

Nobody argued about structure in the connection IDs, but generating them in a way that they are unpredictable.

e.g., what if connection-ids were generated from a global counter? According to the QUIC spec, that'd be one possible implementation.

     > I'm not saying that cryptographic protocols don't need to take
    care in
     > identifer selection, but the guidance in this document does not seem
     > very helpful in that respect. It's no doubt the case that the IETF
     > will in the future design some non-cryptographic protocols where this
     > kind of guidance will be on-point, but I don't think that in 2020
     > we should publish a document as BCP which ignores so much of current
     > practice.

    Could you please elaborate?

    We did evaluate what has happened to multiple protocols from different
    layers. And the findings seem to converge for all of them.

    I don't think you can claim that what has been done in one specific
    protocol from one specific layer is "current practice".

My position is that modern practice is to design protocols that have encryption
(this is strongly encouraged by RFC 7258 and also is just what we're doing)
and this document neither (a) engages with that nor (b) provides particularly
helpful guidance for encrypted protocols.

You seem to be referring to mitigating data injection attacks, or to provide confidentiality to the data stream via crypto. Nobody is arguing against that.

In that context, what we are arguing is that even if you encrypt, if you use improper identifiers you could leak information to the other endpoint -- which can read and analyze the identifiers, because its the intended destination of your packets.

You also seem to focus on the particular case of data injection against transport protocols. I'd note that there are identifiers such as IPv6 Fragment Identifiers, transport protocol ephemeral ports, IPv6 Interface Identifiers, and others, where use of crypto as for the specific case and protocol that you're referring to does not apply.

    Almost four years have passed. I wished we could do something to
    prevent
    these issues from continuing to happen in our protocols and their
    corresponding implementations. And I'd certainly prefer not to try to
    boil the ocean once more.

As I noted, such an effort is already underway, so this work could feed
into it. As your documents are already out there and available in the
drafts repo, I don't feel that there is any rush to have this in RFC form.

We seem to disagree in this respect.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont