Fwd: [Tools-discuss] Allowing xml2rfc to generate text documents with page numbers

Please note the following - any discussion should occur on tools-discuss@xxxxxxxx.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Tools-discuss] Allowing xml2rfc to generate text documents with page numbers
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 13:02:24 -0600
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tools-discuss <tools-discuss@xxxxxxxx>

The RFCs that define the format specifications for RFCs are clear that the published rendered text format for RFCs will not have page numbers.

However, we have received many requests to allow the rendering tool to add those numbers when people are rendering documents locally for their own purposes. Adding and maintaining support for that is trivial, and we plan to make that available via a command-line argument in an upcoming release of xml2rfc.

This isn't a change to how RFCs will be published - published RFCs will continue to follow the format requirements from RFC 7994 and the discussions around the revision of the documents defining the RFC formats. Those wishing to change how RFCs are published should contribute to future efforts revising those specifications.

In general, the formatters will be able to produce a superset of what is required for RFC publication, and we anticipate that new capabilities will be added when there is appropriate demand.

We acknowledge the concerns around the potential for confusion raised during the discussion of the request for this capability. However, we note that it is possible to generate a document with the current tools that looks like a published RFC with completely different content. Addressing this potential for confusion is not an issue to solve with the formatting tools.

Robert Sparks, Tools Team Chair