Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-gont-numeric-ids-sec-considerations-06.txt> (Security Considerations for Transient Numeric Identifiers Employed in Network Protocols) to Best Current Practice

Fernando:

> On 9/12/20 18:09, Russ Housley wrote:
>> I have to comments.
>> 1) I do not see this document as a BCP.  Despite the inclusion of the boilerplate, there is not a single MUST in the document.  I have no objection to an Informational RFC.
>
> FWIW, version -04 had the following text:
>
> ---- cut here ----
> 5.  Security and Privacy Requirements for Identifiers
>
>   Protocol specifications that specify transient numeric identifiers
>   MUST:
> ---- cut here ----
>
> This was changed in response to feedback we got. But we could add some text in that line, whether "MUST" or "SHOULD"
>
> I believe it would be a shame for us to be unable to do a BCP on the topic, given the bad track the IETF has had with respect to transient identifiers, and given that, for multiple reasons, this effort has taken about 5 years so far....

My previous message addresses this point.  I won't repeat myself here.

>> 2) The document is really about transient identifiers.  It does not only apply to ones that are numeric.
>
> That's probably the case. However, the ones we assessed are all numeric identifiers. And those are the ones that we have analyzed in the companion document draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-generation
>
> Just curious: what are the non-numeric transient identifiers you had in mind?

You missed my point.  I would not want someone to think that the guidance here in to relevant because the implementation uses a string variable.

Russ