Re: [Last-Call] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-pd-relay-requirements-04

There really aren’t any. Clients can generate different client-id and request prefix after prefix.

However, as this document points out these relays usually have limits to what it may track (and likely it would drop those packets from reaching client).

In some deployments, the number of prefixes allowed behind a particular relay is limited (at server or relay). Other mitigations may be shorter leases as then it comes down to how many can be requested during that time.

The main question is what does this benefit anyone? It is a DoS but in general it has limited impact as prefixes tend to be topological, so it isn’t like you could assign all of the prefixes an ISP has — just what is allowed on that link.

Why do you think this is a new issue that needs to be fixed in this document?

In my experience we have not seen these kinds of attacks as they aren’t very useful. And it has been a dhcp issue since dhcpv4 (addresses were much more scarce).

We tried securing dhcpv6...but it isn’t an easy problem to solve.

- Bernie