Re: [Last-Call] [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate-09.txt> (Deprecating TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1) to Best Current Practice

On 12/1/20 4:29 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:

I think all it needs is something along the lines of "This BCP applies to TLS
as used on the public Internet [Not part of the text but meaning the area that
the IETF creates standards for].

Not specifically relevant to this draft, but:  Is it actually defined anywhere that IETF standards only apply to the public Internet?  IMO IETF needs to realize that implementations of its standards are used outside of the public Internet and consider that when writing its documents.  (even though different rules may be appropriate on private and mostly-isolated networks)

Keith

p.s. I keep thinking that this "MUST NOT TLS < 1.2" recommendation is like a public health recommendation, one that is worded over-simply to try to make it have maximum useful effect but perhaps to the point of being misleading or even harmful. e.g. "You MUST wear masks to reduce the spread of COVID-19", but not saying "oh yeah, if you're outdoors and not around other people you're probably fine without a mask" and "masks are pointless if you only wear them over your mouths or chins", and "the masks that have valves in them to allow exhaled breath to exit unimpeded are also useless for this purpose" and "you need to wear them when indoors and around co-workers, not merely when customers or visitors are present".  At least where I live I see so many people using masks in ineffective ways that I don't think the simple recommendation is working, though I'm not sure that a more detailed recommendation would work better.