Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On 28/11/2020 19:43, Carsten Bormann wrote:
On 2020-11-28, at 13:49, tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

FTP is so simple to use

Many of us have that relative that has a computer and has managed to get value out of it, discovering workflows on the way that actually work for them.  Say, to put a picture into an ms-word document, print it out and then scan it.  One might want to make a feeble attempt to suggest a more efficient workflow, but what they have come up with is now so ingrained that they will go back to the way of doing things they have discovered and practiced extensively.

Until the scanner breaks.

Yes, I know, my use of Windows likely puts me in a very small minority of those who contribute to IETF lists, while my preference for Lotus over Microsoft for anything office-related likely makes me a minority of one. Keith's posts on this thread, like this note of yours, makes it clear how many different work flows we have.

But for me there is a difference between e.g. having Microsoft eliminate the MUA as they did 12 months ago and the IETF eliminating FTP. The former was a shock, the latter seems unreasonable.

Tom Petch

Grüße, Carsten

.