Re: [wasm] sqlite as rfc-spec'd web-interchange-format?

--On Saturday, November 28, 2020 01:14 -0500 Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's an interesting idea.
>
> There are quite a number of other serialization formats out
> there including: bincode, msgpack, protobuf, and of course,
> IETF's CBOR RFC7049.  Also JSON. For "opendata" we've would up
> with CSV, which I really dislike. {So funny that the UK's data
> problem with COVID rates was due to some data flow that went
> CSV->XLS->database, fixed when they went CSV->XLSX->database,
> when there was never a reason to use XLS* at all. So perhaps
> this argues your case}
>
> The question you likely need to answer are:
>
> 1) do the sqlite people wish to turn change control over to
> the IETF?
>
> 2) Given the Library of Congress statement, is there actually
> a net benefit    to the world?  Maybe it's already moving to
> defacto standard anyway.    Would the IETF process help?
> Given the stability, would there be    any benefit for IANA?
>
> 2B) There may be NAFTA Article 10 ("Performance
> Specification") reasons     for having an RFP'able
> specification.
>
> 3) Are there enough implementers who are not sqlite.org who
> would benefit?    Is the wasm-sqlite from sqlite.org (I don't
> know).
>
> I looked through the specification, and turning it into an RFC
> wouldn't be hard.  You may wish to look at the work in the
> CELLAR WG, which is doing something similar for archival
> formats for AV.

I have not studied or used sqlite, but, stepping back from the
details...

Let me add something from a very different perspective -- maybe
useful, maybe not.  If you are looking for a data serialization
and interchange standpoint _and_ expect it to be able to
accommodate the full range of statistical and scientific
databases rather than only nicely rectangular, row-oriented,
commercial databases and things that behave like them, nothing
SQL-compatible is going to do the job.

To save typing in a longer list, several of the papers in
Rafanelli, M., Klensin, J.C., and Svensson, P., eds.,
_Statistical and Scientific Database Management: Fourth
International Working Conference on Statistical and Scientific
Database Management, Rome, Italy, June 1988,  Proceedings_,
Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science #339, 1989.
(And, yes, for those who don't know, I had a life or three
before getting sucked back, almost fully, into Internet work.)

    best,
      john