Re: Regarding "Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service"

On 11/27/20 6:06 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

I hope we can find a way to maintain our creativity and efficiency without using FTP.

Our goal is to produce high-quality specifications of protocols that get widely deployed in a secure way. I believe there are is still room for improvement on all fronts but I am less convinced that the protocols used for fetching the documents we read play a crucial part in that story.

IMO, the effort to deny people tools that are useful for them, without actually providing any observable justification for doing so, does not bode well for IETF's creativity or efficiency.

Though I would miss FTP, it could certainly be replaced without loss of functionality IF IETF would support something that's equivalent (rsync doesn't seem to be, but WebDAV might), AND several dozen or maybe even hundreds of participants were willing to retool.   But disregarding the effort required on the part of participants to retool because it's Somebody Else's Problem does not reflect well on the organization's leadership.

More broadly it seems like many participants in this conversation believe that everyone should work and think like they do, and that everyone else should be considered obsolete.   That doesn't bode well for IETF's creativity or efficiency either.

And the evident bias against open standard solutions, among participants of an organization that has standardization as its purpose, seems like a Very Bad Sign.

Keith