Re: [wasm] sqlite as rfc-spec'd web-interchange-format?

On 11/27/20 12:09 AM, kai zhu wrote:

> it is lousy at handling concurrent queries
lousy compared to what? localstorage / indexeddb / redux ?

Too lousy to use.  I haven't tried everything that exists as a basis for comparison, but sqlite should probably not be used by anything that requires concurrent access.

Of course that's a criticism of the library and not about the file format.

> In my experience a lot gets lost in translation between sqlite tables and other databases
its not perfect for sure, but say i want to serialize/revive following datasets in browser:
    - catalog of shop-items with fulltextsearch
    - customer's online shopping-cart
    - [subset of] enron-email with fulltextsearch
    - queryable 10-year historical-data of all s&p500 stocks

if not as [wasm] sqlite-database, what better serialization-options are there for interchanging above datasets over the web?

It's possible that sqlite file format is the best choice that currently exists.   In its favor, there are sqlite libraries for several programming languages that can read and update these files, and also front-end clients that are free of charge and open source.   The wide availability of libraries make it relatively easy to write translators to transfer the sqlite data to or from other databases.   I understand that the format is machine-independent and with some care in writing it's likely to be far more efficient a representation than any text-based format.

also if ietf is not a suitable forum, let me know if there are better places to raise this issue.

Perhaps others can make a suggestion for a standards organization with more expertise in this subject area.

Keith