Re: what is rsync, was Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On 11/26/20 12:08 PM, John Levine wrote:

If you're wondering if there's an RFC for it, nope. RFC 5781 specifies
the rsync: URI but refers back tohttp://rsync.samba.org/  for details
on rsync.

I don't suppose anyone would object if we made an RFC out of the spec
but given that the tech report, thesis, and multiple implementations
are widely available without restriction (other than GPL on some of
the code) it doesn't seem worth a lot of effort.

I remember when IETF cared about making standards and promoting broad interoperability.

Keith