Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On 11/25/20 9:17 PM, John Levine wrote:

To point out the obvious, the IETF's staff and financial resources are
not infinite. Based on Roman's numbers, we seem to be talking about a
dozen FTP users and at least thousands if not tens of thousands of
rsync and https users.

As I've said earlier, I think those numbers are being misinterpreted.

Also, it's now obvious that the IETF FTP server is poorly configured since it's timing out the control connection after 20 seconds.   That's simply unreasonable.   If usage is down because the server is misconfigured, that's hardly surprising, but it doesn't mean the server wouldn't be used more if it were fixed.

 I find arguments that we should ignore the
numbers because a few individuals think they might be inconvenienced
unpersuasive.

The previous message about technical debt summed up the issue pretty well.

No, that's just another example of ageist prejudice.

Keith