Re: [Last-Call] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-bmwg-b2b-frame-03

Al,

> [acm] I agree with your observation that there are cases where trial duration
> should be increased to accommodate the encountered in the DUT, but not as a
> mandate for all testing. I have four factors in mind:
> 1. Some of the virtual network DUTs we are testing now have very small buffers,
> and the B2B stream of frames is quite short -- less than 2000 frames@10GE in
> some cases -- so 2 seconds fully sufficient.
> 2. The trial duration is a factor in total test duration, where each trial is one step in
> the Binary Search. We need to manage the tension between the time needed to
> reach a search result and confidence that we have depleted the queues.
> 3. The RFC 2544 Latency benchmark will tell us if bufferbloat is present.
> 4. The current text says "at least 2 seconds".
>
> So I suggest adding the following text:
>
>     The duration of the trial MUST be at least 2 seconds, to allow DUT
>     buffers to deplete. When RFC2544 Latency measurements indicate that
>     large buffers are present in the DUT, the trial duration SHOULD be
>     increased to ensure that buffer depletion takes place, without unduly
>     extending the total test time.

The overall approach of collecting evidence that there is a problem before increasing the 2 second minimum duration is fine, but the details appear to need more attention:

1. Obtaining the RFC 2544 Latency measurements would need to be added to Section 4 (Prerequisites) of this draft to ensure that the buffer size information is available.

2. I did not see any requirements in the RFC 2544 Latency test (Section 26.2) to deplete buffers.  Did I miss something?

3. I would think that the trial duration MUST be increased, not just SHOULD be increased if there is evidence of large buffer size, as buffer depletion appears to be a necessary characteristic of this B2B measurement.

It also looks like the link to the entire slide deck didn't make it into my original review correctly - that slide deck is at: http://www.taht.net/~d/lca_tcp3.odp .  In addition to slide 6 from this slide deck (Figure 1 in the APNIC blog), slide 14 is also relevant to this discussion.

Thanks, --David