Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

On 11/16/20 11:43 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

I think the cheap solution to this issue would be to build a FTP / rsync gateway which rsync'd the available data and offered the data with FTP services. I'd budget $500 to build such a service and $20/month to run it, depending on how much data there is, although it's likely to cost less.  I imagine some enterprising engineer would build it for free in exchange for permission to include a one-line acknowledgment to their engineering cleverness in the FTP service's greeting. Build it as a docker container based on a small linux distro.

Yeah, I was thinking something similar.   The biggest trick would be to assure integrity of the separate service, but it should be possible to automatically monitor it.

Keith